Amtrak, officially known as the National Railroad Passenger Corporation, is a rail and bus service provider that has a vast network throughout the US and Canada. Except for really short-distance regular commutes, Amtrak has intercity rail service in various parts of the country, and it connects over nine Canadian cities as well. But let us get straight to the point – is there an Amtrak senior discount present? The simple answer is, yes!
People looking to go on vacation often opt for Amtrak’s services since they are efficient and affordable. And they are especially convenient for senior citizens due to the great deals that are often in play. With over 300 trains running bang on time every single day, you can pick any of their 500 destinations and enjoy your vacation at a discounted price.
Amtrak Senior Discount Policy
Amtrak gives a 10% off on rail fares to senior citizens of the US. While there is indeed an Amtrak rail pass senior discount, just like the Honey Baked Ham senior discount in 2022, you need to meet certain conditions for each offer before availing it.
- You must be at least 65 years of age to be eligible for the discount on most of their trains and buses.
- People aged 60+, don’t be disheartened just yet. You can avail yourself of a 10% discount on their cross-border service, a joint venture by Amtrak and VIA Rail Canada.
- Military veterans are qualified for a 10% discount not only for themselves but also for their immediate family (parents, spouse, kids). This is Amtrak’s latest offering for April 2022.
- There are various promo codes for Amtrak which offer additional discounts for seniors. Refer to the terms of their website and their forum for more information.
Does Amtrak have a Senior Pass?
The Amtrak senior discount doesn’t provide a monthly or weekly pass per se. It is a one-time deal, not unlike Kohl’s deal. What is Kohl’s senior discount? Quite similar to Amtrak’s senior pass! However, you can avail of their regular monthly passes for a much better price.
- Multi-Ride Pass: You can travel between two destinations about 6-10 times at a discounted rate. Save up to 50% on your train fares by purchasing these passes. For instance, you can travel from Philly to D.C. for just about $379 up to 10 times. They are valid for a 45-day to a 180-day period, depending on your travel plans.
- USA Rail Pass: Wish to explore your country conveniently, just like the senior discount Verizon allows you to? You can never go wrong with the USA Rail Pass! For just $299, you can visit 10 destinations within the US in under 30 days. Over 500 different places are calling; all you need to do is answer!
- California Rail Pass: The Amtrak senior citizen discount gives you a chance to explore the fascinating, arid deserts of California for a heavily discounted price. Pay $159 to experience a 7-day journey into the spectacular Mojave trails or to enjoy the natural beauty of the Death Valley National Park!
What Days Are the Cheapest on Amtrak?
Weekend excursions obviously carry higher rates, since office-goers usually opt to vacation from Friday to Sunday. But hey, you are a retired senior citizen; every day is a freakin’ weekend for you! And Amtrak supports all weekday vacationers by offering amazing discounts. However, how do you get a senior discount on Amtrak for these weekday deals?
From Tuesday through Friday, you can receive up to 80% off if you were to travel on certain Amtrak trains. These astonishing deals are featured on Amtrak’s Weekly Specials. But be sure to visit this page every now and then to grab the best travel deal for your destination, as the discounts are updated every day. They may sometimes be valid with saver senior 10% discounts too!
Does AARP Offer Discounts on Amtrak?
Unfortunately, the answer to this question is a definite NO. The American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) isn’t affiliated with Amtrak in any way. However, since most AARP members are above 60 years of age, they can avail of the general Amtrak senior discount of 10%. You can also opt for general discounts like the peer promo codes or the multi-ride train pass.
Can You Bring Food on Amtrak?
Yes, you can. But you cannot consume that food during travel. It should only be brought for taking it from one place to another. Food consumption onboard is only allowed for in-purchased items, like something from their informal café service.
However, if you are placed in the upper level of Amtrak’s Superliner Sightseer Lounges, then you are allowed to bring as much food as you can consume onboard. Be prepared to heat or cool it at your own risk, though, for you won’t be permitted to use their microwaves and refrigerators.
Can You Bring Alcohol on Amtrak?
Alcohol is available for purchase on the Amtrak train, but you can also bring your own private stock onboard. They haven’t mentioned a particular limit to the number of bottles, but there are certain rules and regulations to be adhered to during alcohol consumption.
You won’t be allowed to drink in public places like the coach’s corridor. Whether you purchase it from the train’s bar or BYOB, you can only drink within the confines of your Sleeping Car compartment.
How to Get a Senior Discount on Amtrak?
Ideally, you only need to mention that you are a senior aged 60+ to avail of the discount. However, on some occasions when you don’t quite look your age (healthy much?), you may be asked to provide your ID or SSN.
Amtrak began as a quasi-public corporation in 1971, assigned to handle most of the US-based rail routes. It was responsible for stabilizing the volatile rail history, which began in 1916. In the ‘80s and the ‘90s, their business grew into a possible nationwide setup. But it wasn’t until the turn of the millennium that Amtrak grew into the structurally stable organization that it is. That was also the reason why the Amtrak senior citizen discount was announced. Check if you are eligible for it here!
The content writer on Choice Senior Life