- Walgreens, Multiple locations. For seniors over the age of 55, you should know about Walgreen’s special Senior Days that help you save money on prescriptions and other items. Senior Days aren’t a regularly recurring event, so you’ll want to check with your local store to find out when the next one will be. You can also cash in on savings online during these promotions.
- Choice Hotels, Multiple locations. Choice Hotels includes top names in lodging, such as Sleep Inn, Comfort Inn, Clarion, Mainstay Suites, and Quality Inn. They offer seniors age 60 and over up to a 10 percent discount on advanced reservations. No matter where you’re traveling, Florida or otherwise, you should have no problem finding a nearby Choice Hotel, making this discount one of the invaluable you can get.
- Camping at Florida State Parks, Multiple locations. Seniors age 65 and up can snag a substantially discounted camping fee in Florida’s state parks. You’ll save 50 percent on your campsite base fee, giving you a cost-effective option for your vacation. Florida is teeming with some of the best state parks in the country, so you’ll want to take advantage of this discount again and again.
- Avis Rental Cars, Multiple locations. AARP members in Florida will be glad to know they can save up to 25 percent on an Avis rental car. But the savings don’t end there—you can also upgrade your car for free and get other perks because of your AARP status. Florida isn’t lacking for Avis locations, which bodes well for your travel budget.
- Publix, Multiple locations. If you’ve been in Florida for any length of time, you already know what a pleasure grocery shopping at Publix can be. Now, that experience gets even sweeter on Wednesdays with a 5 percent discount for individuals ages 60 or older. It might not sound like a lot per shopping trip, but savings like these can equal hundreds of dollars per year.
- Kohls, Multiple locations. Fashion knows no age, but Kohls knows how to value its older clientele. Customers age 60 and up with a valid ID get a 15 percent discount every Wednesday. While they do limit your purchases somewhat (a few brands are off-limits for the deal), it’s a worthwhile discount to style your closet for less.
Florida is a beautiful state that provides its residents and visitors with plenty of sunshine, sandy beaches, and exciting attractions. With countless opportunities for relaxation and entertainment, it’s no wonder why so many people flock to this sunny paradise each year. Luckily, the state of Florida offers seniors many discounts to make their journey even more enjoyable. We break down some of the most popular senior discounts in Florida, so you can make your trip even more affordable.
Public transportation in Florida is a convenient way for seniors to get around. Many cities, such as Miami-Dade County and Jacksonville, offer discounts for seniors. For example, Miami-Dade Transit has a discounted fare program that offers reduced fares to seniors over 65.
Similarly, Jacksonville Transportation Authority offers reduced free rides on JTA buses and ReadiRide services for seniors aged 65 and over. Those who live in Tampa can take advantage of the HART reduced fares, while seniors in Gainesville can take advantage of the RTS reduced fares.
Private transportation is also an option for Florida seniors looking to save money on their travels. Many car rental companies offer senior discounts, such as Hertz and Budget, for those 55 and older. Some companies even offer additional discounts when seniors book through their members-only programs. Taxi companies like Yellow Cab also offer discounts for seniors, as well as Uber, the ride-sharing service.
Whether you’re looking for a cozy bed-and-breakfast or a luxurious resort, Florida has something for everyone. Hotels like Marriott and Hilton all offer senior discount rates for those aged 62 and up. Best Western also offers up to 15% off for guests aged 55 and over. Florida offers plenty of quaint getaways like the Westgate Blue Tree Resort in Lake Buena Vista or the Pelican Cove Resort & Marina in Islamorada for those who prefer to stay at a more intimate establishment.
Food & Dining
Fine dining doesn’t have to be out of your budget if you’re a senior in Florida. Many restaurants across the state offer discounts for seniors, including popular chains like Denny’s and Outback Steakhouse. Additionally, local restaurants like Perry’s Steakhouse & Grille in Coral Gables and Molly’s Seafood Shack Diner in Merritt Island offer senior menus that come with reduced prices.
Depending on your location, fast food restaurants like McDonald’s, Burger King, and Taco Bell may also offer senior discounts. These discounts typically start at 10% off and can be applied to certain menu items or meals.
Sightseeing and Entertainment
Florida has plenty of attractions to keep you entertained. Florida State Parks offer a 50% discount on current base campsite fees for seniors (age 65+). In addition, historical sites such as The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art in Sarasota offer discounted ticket prices for seniors.
Florida’s zoos and aquariums, such as the Jacksonville Zoo & Gardens, and Brevard Zoo in Melbourne, are great choices for seniors looking to enjoy nature and wildlife. These establishments usually offer discounts for seniors aged 65 and up.
Florida is a great place for seniors to save money on their shopping. Many of the major retail stores offer senior citizen discounts, including exclusive deals at Walgreens and Rite Aid pharmacies on certain days. Clothing stores such as Kohl’s, JCPenney, and Macy’s offer senior discounts at select locations. Although not all stores advertise these discounts, be sure to ask the store staff if they offer any senior deals.
With all of these great discounts available for seniors, Florida is the perfect place to plan an affordable and enjoyable trip. So don’t wait any longer – start planning your dream vacation today!
Morgan Elfman is a compassionate writer, dedicated caregiver, and passionate advocate for senior well-being. Born and raised with a deep sense of empathy and a natural inclination towards service, Morgan has devoted her life to making a positive impact on the lives of seniors.
As a writer for www.choiceseniorlife.com, Morgan utilizes his skills to create insightful and informative content that addresses the unique needs and challenges faced by seniors and their families. Her articles not only provide valuable information on health, lifestyle, and care options but also strive to inspire and empower seniors to lead fulfilling lives.