- LensCrafters, Multiple locations. If you are an AARP or AAA member, you can receive discounts on prescription eyewear and the discounts really add up! With an AARP membership, seniors can receive 30 percent off a complete pair of eyeglasses or 40 percent off transition lenses.
- Rite Aid, Multiple locations. The first Wednesday of every month, senior citizens can receive 20 percent off on purchases. They also often have promotional discounts for those over 65 who are part of the wellness65+ program.
- Amtrak, Multiple locations. If you always planned on using your retirement for travel, take advantage of Amtrak’s generous 15 percent off discount on Amtrak train fares. Those 62 and over can enjoy discounts while traveling across the U.S. and a 10 percent discount from age 60 if the booking is operated jointly by Amtrak and Rail Canada.
- Avis, Multiple locations. AARP members renting a car from Avis can enjoy 30 percent off of Avis base rates. This discount can be used throughout continental U.S. and Canada, making a scenic road trip to marvel at fall foliage in the Northeast up to Montreal a more affordable option. Other savings are also available at Avis including discounted rental of a Garmin GPS, unlimited mileage, additional driver fee waived, and frequent traveler points accumulated.
- Outback Steakhouse, Multiple locations. At all Outback Steakhouse locations across Connecticut, and extending throughout the rest of the U.S., Outback Steakhouse is offering senior citizens 10 percent off lunch and dinner. This offer excludes alcoholic beverages, but is applicable to their mouthwatering steaks, chicken dishes, and seafood meals. Using this discount is a wonderful way to save money when dining out on a delicious meal.
Connecticut is a beautiful state located in the Northeastern United States. It is known for its stunning beaches, lush forests, and vibrant cities. Many seniors are attracted to this region for its natural beauty and rich history. Fortunately, there are several ways that seniors can save money in Connecticut, and one of the best ways is to take advantage of senior discounts. So, we have compiled a list of some of the best senior discounts available in Connecticut to help you get the most out of your next trip.
Public transportation in Connecticut is extensive and offers seniors a great way to get around the state. The main public transport company in the state is Connecticut Transit, which offers fare discounts for seniors over the age of 65. For example, seniors can get half off the regular cost of bus, rail and paratransit fares. Additionally, many local taxi companies offer discounts for seniors, so be sure to ask about any potential savings.
Private transportation in Connecticut is a great option for seniors who want to explore the state without having to rely on public transport. There are several companies that offer discounted rates for seniors, such as Lyft.
Many rental car companies also offer discounts for seniors over the age of 55. Although most require an AARP membership, some companies, such as Hertz, provide discounts without an AARP membership.
Eating out is a great way to experience Connecticut’s local cuisine and culture. Fortunately, many restaurants in the state offer discounts for seniors.
Some of the most popular discounts include a percentage off your meal, free beverages or desserts, and even free meals on certain days. Those are usually available at big restaurant chains such as Denny’s, Applebee’s, and Outback Steakhouse.
Another popular option that restaurants offer is a senior menu. These menus typically include smaller portions and reduced prices, making it much easier for seniors to enjoy their meals without breaking the bank. You can find it in the restaurants such as IHOP and Olive Garden.
There are a variety of ways for seniors to save on entertainment in Connecticut. The most popular option is movie theatre discounts. All AMC Theatres locations in Connecticut offer discounted tickets to seniors over the age of 60, and Cinemark theatres have special “Senior Days”, which can vary by location.
Another way to save on entertainment is to take advantage of free or discounted admission to cultural attractions. Many Connecticut museums and galleries offer seniors discounts, such as the Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art in Hartford, the Mystic Seaport Museum, and the New England Air Museum.
Animal lovers can also take advantage of discounted admission to the Beardsley Zoo in Bridgeport. Seniors over 65 get a reduced rate of $15, and children under 12 receive free admission with a paying adult. Another option is to visit Mystic Aquarium, which offers discounted admission to seniors over the age of 62.
Seniors looking for outdoor recreation will be glad to know that there are several ways to save on recreational activities in Connecticut. One of the most popular options is to take advantage of the Connecticut State Parks and Forests pass. The pass offers free admission into all state parks for seniors over the age of 65.
For those looking for more leisurely activities, Connecticut offers several golf courses at discounted rates. Seniors over the age of 60 can get discounted green fees at several golf courses in the state, such as Blue Fox Run Golf Course in Avon and Windham Golf Course in North Windham.
Finding the right accommodation when travelling can be tricky. Fortunately, there are several hotels in Connecticut that offer discounts specifically for seniors. Some popular hotels offering these discounts include the Comfort Inn in Hartford, the Hilton Garden Inn in Groton, and the Hampton Inn in Norwich. Plus, major hotel chains such as Marriott, La Quinta, and Best Western all offer senior discounts.
Additionally, some hotels may not advertise senior discounts but include senior pricing as an option when booking online. Therefore, it’s worth checking the hotel website before you book your stay or calling ahead to inquire about senior discounts.
So, no matter where you’re living or travelling in Connecticut, there are plenty of ways for seniors to save on transportation, dining out, entertainment, recreation, and accommodation. With a bit of research and a few phone calls, you can explore the state without breaking the bank. Plus, you get to experience all the great things that Connecticut has to offer!
Morgan Elfman is a compassionate writer, dedicated caregiver, and passionate advocate for senior well-being. Born and raised with a deep sense of empathy and a natural inclination towards service, Morgan has devoted her life to making a positive impact on the lives of seniors.
As a writer for www.choiceseniorlife.com, Morgan utilizes his skills to create insightful and informative content that addresses the unique needs and challenges faced by seniors and their families. Her articles not only provide valuable information on health, lifestyle, and care options but also strive to inspire and empower seniors to lead fulfilling lives.